Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hurdle Jumping

One of my favorite memories of childhood is how I used to run. I loved short sprints and dashes so much that I challenged all my friends, and even nieghborhood dogs, to a race. All that practice helped me to get better at something I really enjoyed. So when I started high school I tried out for the track team and I made it. My coach exposed me to hurdle jumping and I loved it! The challenge of actually making it over each hurdle gave me a rush of adrenaline and a sense of satisfaction.

Then it happened, one day, in the middle of a good practice, I learned how hurdles got their name. My toe caught on the next to last hurdle and I went airborne across until I hit the last hurdle which caused me to slide across the track. I was stunned and dazed when I finally came to a halt. My clothes were torn and I was bloody and bruised, both physically and mentally. I expected the questions of concern from my coach, but what I didn't expect was his instructions to get back up and run the race again.

"What, did you see what just happened to me? I can hardly walk and you want me to jump." I responded, less than obediently. Honestly, at that moment I never wanted to set foot on a track lined up with hurdles again. I was terrified! My mind flashed back to the accident and I knew my toe would catch again and the same thing would happen. But my coach had wisdom enough to know that if I didn't jump right then, I would never overcome that seed of fear and it would keep me from doing something I loved.

I don't know how I did it, shaking and bleeding I took my mark and ran the hurdles. Somehow, I managed to fly over each one without any problems. And that little seed of fear was destroyed.

I have thought about that day many times since then, the lesson I learned that day has helped me through the falls of life. Each time I have thought I just can't go on I've been reminded of that day and realize I must get up and I must get back in the race or I'll never run again.

Here on the mission field, and even in the States on deputation, my life has been a hurdle race. So far since we arrived in Uruguay my toe hasn't caught on the board and sent me flying. But when that day comes, as it surely will, I pray that God will give me the strength to stand back up again and I will get back in the race!

4 comments:

Kim said...

I needed this right now. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

Me too, it's been on my mind a lot the past couple days. I felt like I needed to share it.

JAPP3L said...

Debbie, thanks for the encouragment. We pray for you guys and look forward to your posts. It's great to hear of a wife who is walking with God and seeking Him; but it would be nice to know that her husband is doing the same. I guess we will have to pray for him too.

Debbie said...

You're welcome and praise God, for the grace He is giving me. As for my husband be assured he is doing the same. He's just not a writer. But I have passed on the requests for a post so hopefully we'll see something from him soon.