Saturday, March 17, 2007

Some thoughts from my devotions

As I read through my Bible I'm struck once again by the frustration the Israelites must have been to God. In just a handful of chapters in the book of Numbers, God's chosen people are chastened many times - they're swallowed up by the earth, they have a plague, they are kept from the promised land, among other things. All for their sins. They murmered, they complained, they expected things from God that they had no right to expect. God had brought them out from Egypt in a miraculous way. He had made sure they had water and food. They saw Him in the pillar of cloud and fire as He led them through the wilderness. Over and over Moses interceded on their behalf and God stayed His wrath against the entire nation. They even watched as those who had sinned aainst God were chastened or destroyed, and witnessed HIs mercy towards them, yet they still grumbled and complained.

Why? What in the world were they thinking? Well, I don't know everything that went on in their minds but I do know what happens in my own. When I begin to grumble and complain it is because I believe God owes me something. That belief leads me to a place of discontent, which makes me miserable. And when I'm miserable it must be God's fault, right? Wrong! That is what Satan would have us believe. The enemy wants for us to think God is not good. If we believe that, then we can't trust God, and we can't follow Him. We begin to question everything He does and doesn't do. We begin to expect things from God instead of being thankful for all He has already given.

Moving to a foreign country has added to this dimension for me. It would be easy to get caught up in all the things we left behind. There are those nights when a McDonalds run would be great. There are those moments after searching through several stores for an "important" ingredient, that it is tempting to feel sorry for myself. What I need to do instead is change my focus, off my circumstances and onto Who God is. If I just take a moment and look back at all God has done for me, for us, and praise Him for those things I become overwhelmed with gratefulness. I see that I don't deserve a fraction of what I have as a result of God's loving kindness and His mercy. It all comes down to who we are going to believe (God or the Devil) and that belief is reflected in our attitude.

1 comment:

JAPP3L said...

Amen! Thanks for the preaching Sister. While reading this entry, one would think that it was being written by a man who was preaching, but then I remembered that Scott hasn't made any entries yet. Can't wait to here from you Scott.

Jim Appel