Thursday, March 22, 2007

First Day of School

After being home schooled their entire academic careers, Kaitlin, Bethany and Adeline had their first day of school this week. Kaitlin started with Brandon on Tuesday and Bethany and Adeline started today. Brandon is not included in the list because he had the privilege of attending Faith Christian School and Ambassador Baptist Academy through 2nd grade; so he is a seasoned pro. Nehemiah will start Kindergarten once Rebekah, their teacher, gets acclimated to having 4 new students. So this year we have a Freshman in high school (yikes, when did that happen?), and 7th, 3rd, 1st graders, plus a Kindergartner.

I'm thankful that I had the ability, and freedom, to teach my children at "home" for seven years. I must admit that I'm even more grateful to have a trained teacher taking my place! I really enjoy being their Mom and asking if they have homework, instead of assigning it. They'll have quite the tales to tell their children about how they had to walk 3 miles (OK, it's only 2 blocks) through the mosquito swarms, risking exposure to Dengue fever, and getting a nice tan, to their classroom. Some adventure! The toughest part of the day was facing me with the camera to capture the big event. Oh well, they'll thank me some day even though they sighed and cried today.

No comments: