Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Taste of Home

When Scott and I first married my idea of home cooking was a frozen Marie Callendars fettucine noodles dinner. Of course, over the years I've learned to become more proficient in the kitchen and can now make some mean shrimp pasta (Red Lobster style). But since we've moved to Uruguay I have really become creative in the kitchen. I made a yummy all from scratch chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting for the girls birthday. I make rice milk for Adeline, that she actually likes. And I'm learning to recreate some things we just can't get here.

If you were to type the word "home made" into our Google task bar you would find I'm trying to make our life here a "normal" as possible. For instance, you would see I've searched for how to make grits, not cook them, but make them so we can cook them. I have learned to make whipped cream, and fried rice. I even have in my recipe box goodies such as doughnuts and english muffins.

No fajita seasoning or flour tortillas, it's no problem, I just type in home made flour tortillas and home made fajita seasoning and I have a couple of excellent recipes. Can't find pancake syrup? Do a google search. I find that just about every taste from "home" that I crave can be made at home. Well, I'm off to search for El Pollo Loco recipes, I have a craving for lemon grilled chicken with spicy pinto beans, pico de gallo and warm flour tortillas. If only I could find that missing box with my Cilantro in it.

No comments: