Sunday, April 05, 2009

Someboday get the umbrella...

it's raining...it's pouring. Fall has definitely arrived here in Uruguay and though the weather today has been very pleasant we have had a few days of rain and cooler temperatures. We need the rain and so we're thankful for it but we sure love to see the sunshine!!!

Not only have we experienced down pours in the weather we are experiencing them in our lives. My health has been drastically affected since late last year. In November I found a large lump in my breast that appeared literally overnight. Thinking it was an infection I waited for it to clear. Eventually seeing a doctor for it and having it checked by ultrasound she was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease. Wednesday morning I had a mammogram and another ultrasound and received the very good news that it is a cyst and has no signs or markers of being cancerous. The doctor recommended leaving it alone.

In January, I caught a severe intestinal virus that caused me to lose over 20 pounds in just a few days. At that time I began having pressure in my upper abdomen. That pressure changed to a radiating pain that came and went. As well as having increased problems with mitral valve prolapse. Because my sister has thyroid disease I saw an endocronologist. Last week we received the news that all the tests including a thyroid ultrasound came back normal. For which we are very grateful.

The night we returned from that appointment in Montevideo we headed to the ER because my chest pains were nearly constant and were much more severe. Thankfully, the doctor on call that night is our family doctor. He ran an ekg which was normal. I was prescribed Prilosec and a liquid antacid to rule out acid reflux. Though some of the symptoms have lessened the pain is still there and very distinct. From what I am able to describe to the doctor and from his exam he is now trying to rule out a hernia, or other physical abnormality in my stomach or abdomen.

I need to have an abdominal ultrasound and an endoscopy. The ultrasound is scheduled for the 24th of this month and we are waiting for the date on the endoscopy. I also need to see a cardiologist to have my mitral valve checked as well as rule these problems out as being heart related. We would really like for all of this to be much sooner than the end of the month and Scott is going to work on getting the dates moved up.

We have a trip planned to Israel, with our alma mater Ambassador Baptist College, in May and I am concerned about traveling with this pain and problem unresolved.

Scott has taken much of my load so I can rest. He is trying to relieve as much stress and unnecessary responsibilities from me as is possible, so I can have the energy to focus on my family and the kids schooling.

We are also experiencing showers of blessing as we see God meet these medical needs. And as we receive the grace He is giving in this trying time.

No comments: