Saturday, April 25, 2009

Happy 7th Birthday Nehemiah!!!

I am remiss that this is coming out over a week late. Between the kid's school, doctors appointments, trips to MV and my bad health this completely slipped through the cracks. Believe me I feel like a bad mommy right now.

Last week Nehemiah turned 7 years old! I can't believe it! In many ways it seems like just a few months ago that we were driving, make that speeding, up into the mountains of North Carolina to make it to the hospital in time.

The day he was born was definitely a crazy one. I had a midwife appointment in the morning where I was told the baby would come that day. I promptly told Pam, my midwife, that was impossible because I had the last Sara's Daughter meeting of the year that afternoon. Her attempts to convince me not to go were shot down as I was President. Besides that I wasn't even having any contractions. :-)

I headed from there to my house to pack kids clothes, just in case. On my way to the meeting I stopped off at WalMart to purchase a gift for Mrs. Comfort. That's where the contractions started. By the time I got to the college I was in labor. I convinced Mrs. Comfort to let me stay for the meeting when I promised to leave if the contractions dropped to every 10 minutes. (That was after she made sure the staff nurse stayed around.)

I was trying to concentrate on the happenings of the meeting but the contractions were slightly distracting. Evidently they were enough of a distraction to gain Mrs. Comfort's attention and as soon as the meeting was over she handed her cell over to me to call Scott. After he finished vacuuming the van, and a few other things were takne care of, we farmed our kids out with our van and headed up the mountain in our friends car. A few minutes up the freeway Scott decided to ask me how close the contractions were. For some reason the "every 3 minutes" answer I gave him caused the car to accelerate dramatically.

We did make it to te hospital in time and though we had called Pam we were puzzled wh yshe wasn't there before us. Close to an hour after we arrived she finally came in speeding ticket in hand! I wish I could say a few minutes later Mehemiah was born. But he decided to hang out for awhile longer...like 5 hours longer. The fact that it was not 6 hours greatly disappointed one of our teens. Her birthday was the next day.

He traveled with us to the North Eastern US for a missions trip with the teens when he was only 6 weeks old. Started deputation with us when he was 19 months old. And he arrived here in Uruguay with us at the age of 4.

Very active and energetic we tend to have flashbacks of his older brother and have often wished for Mrs. Weirich to come teach him for a few months. He is wonderfully romantic. Whenever he is out with Scott he makes it a point to get something special for me. In the States it was always flowers. I'll never forget the time on the way to a deputation meeting in North Carolina while waiting at the stop light he said, "Mommy, do you see all those pretty flowers in the road? I wish I could pick them all for you!!!" Just as when he was a baby his voice carries very well. We do hope that someday the Lord will use that quality for his glory.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! It is hard to believe it has been 7 years since this guy accompanied us on our mission trip to NY. Time flies too fast.