Friday, September 12, 2008

Lies We Believe About Marriage

After four hours of Spanish class I wasn't too sure my mind was in a state to teach the ladies Bible study last night, but God intervened and kept my mind working. It turned out to be a great lesson. Several of our ladies questions were answered in this section of the book. As we read the many verses applying to marriage the ladies heard straight from God about the blessings that can be had if they counter the lies believed about singleness and marriage with the truth from His Word.

LIE: I have to have a husband to be happy.

TRUTH: The single ladies learned that happiness is not found in (or out of) marriage. There is no person who can meet our deepest needs. Those who wait on the Lord (including for a mate) always get His best. God has promised to provide everything we need. If He will receive more glory from her being married, then He will provide for her a husband.

LIE: It is my responsibility to change my mate.

TRUTH: The ladies learned that God can do a far better job of changing
our husbands than we can.

LIE: My husband is supposed to serve me.

TRUTH: The ladies learned that God made us to be the helper to the man. We are never more like Jesus than when we are serving others so we ought to seek to serve not seek to BE served.

LIE: If I submit to my husband I'll be miserable.

TRUTH: The ladies learned that submission places us under the protection of God. Our willingness to place ourselves under God-ordained authority is the greatest evidence of how big we believe God is. Our submission to our husband should demonstrate the way the church is to submit to the authority of the Lord Jesus.



Since the ladies are reading the books on their own and then we meet I have used more of a review format with the studies. At times I will teach on the chapter as a whole and hit on the individual lies. Other times I will use the Walking in the Truth book to help clarify some things for the ladies...and for myself. I am constantly amazed at the sweet teachable spirit of our ladies. Their hearts are tender towards the things of the Lord and God is able to change them into His image as a result.

After the study was complete, well most of the study, we had to stop for lack of time, we had a birthday party for Amparo Lopez. She and her husband are missionaries here, from Peru. It was so much fun to surprise her with the blanket that we made, that she thought was for one of our older ladies. The ladies also brought gifts for her and we had lots of sweet treats. I'm thankful for my friend, Amparo. I'm so looking forward to seeing how God will continue to use her here in Uruguay.

No comments: