Saturday, September 06, 2008

God Will Make a Way

In Spanish the word Prueba means proof, evidence, sign, ordeal, trial, exam or test. Yesterday a simple drivers test "prueba" became a significant ordeal "prueba". A week ago Scott told me that we had an appointment to take our drivers license "prueba". My response was to sigh and ask God to help me forget about it. Those of you who are wondering why I didn't ask for help in studying, I most definitely would have requested help had there been anything to study. Though Scott asked a couple times at the entendencia they told him there was nothing to study. We asked Uruguayans who also told us the same thing. It wasn't until we were in the midst of taking our tests and I was fighting back the tears that the exam officer told us there are study materials on the internet. GRRR!!!!!

I tried to focus on the test as I fought back the tears and the frustration. As soon as I would get my focus back I'd realize I had no idea when I was supposed to use my horn, how far from the curb or the corner I needed to park, what the speed limit is in neighborhoods, the difference between a cebra and a regular crosswalk, etc. In my discouragement I kept thinking, "Well, there is no way I'm passing this test and I'll not be able to drive here anymore." Then "God will make a way." would come into my mind. If it weren't for that reminder and that I'm not a quitter I believe most of my test would have been left unanswered.

I thank God for the reminder that He can work things out. And for the reminder to trust in Him and guard my heart. I'll admit after I turned in my test and they called me to have my picture taken I thought, "Man, they have a wasteful system here because there is no way I passed that test." And then as Scott went to take his moto test he told me that my license was being printed and as soon as I had it I could go on home. "HUH? Did they even grade my test?" I wondered. I was still so upset from the test that after I paid for my license and put it and my cedula into my wallet I hadn't taken the time to realize what had happened. As I drove home "God will make a way." came rushing back into my mind. Indeed He had!

Scott told me when he got home that they didn't grade our tests. Evidently our US drivers licenses were enough proof to pass us even though we probably failed the prueba. I still have a lot to learn about my response to God when He puts me through a prueba.

Pray for your missionaries! Pray for them for all those things that seem to be little, mundane, and simple. I'm not sure about other missionaries but I have found in my life here in Uruguay that the simple things are often the ones used by the devil to overwhelm me and get me to question God. Even so, I need only to remember the faithfulness of God. God will make a way!

2 comments:

Kim said...

AMEN! This is a great post! How well I remember my driver's test. Nothing to study and hundreds of $ in drving instruction. Past the written, but it took 2 tries on the drivers. Our USA license meant nothing. It is humbling to realize that in this country that I serve, I have no "bill of rights." It is the little things that annoy. I wrote recently about that on my Sparkpeople page. You can read it here. http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=1448849 God bless you as you continue to serve Him. You are doing an awesome job! All of my teaching is still in English. Couldn't even imagine doing it in Japanese right now. ;)

Debbie said...

Oh, Kim, if only you know how often I thought about you and your test while I was taking mine. As I sat there crying I kept thinking of you.

You're doing a great job too. I go back and forth between English and Spanish. Sometimes it's just necessary. And Spanish is probably, HAHA, definitely (!!!) much easier than Japanese.

We love you guys and pray for your ministry. Now I'm gonna head over to your link.