Saturday, September 20, 2008

Click...

I love the moments when confusing things finally click in my mind. About 3 years ago, through tutorials, I learned to use my computer to scrapbook digitally. I had days, weeks, where I could not grasp what in the world the tutorials were talking about. There are still things I don't get but now I can scrap on my computer with relative ease.

Spanish has been a different story, it just hasn't clicked. Though I have been pretty immersed, have taken language classes, used computer helps, etc. the ability to understand the words being spoken has escaped me. Often times, as is in English, the native speakers can't explain to me why they say the things the way they do, they just know it's the right way to say it. So for 20 months Spanish has been swirling around in my head more like a rip tide than a flowing stream of thought.

Three weeks ago, Scott and I started intensive Spanish classes with Rebeca Valiente. Rebeca is from Peru and has been using the materials used there to teach missionaries Spanish. Each day after starting with prayer, we quote verses that we have memorized, we quote from memory the books of the Bible, and then we read aloud a chapter of Romans. Then we get into the conversation and question answer period using the verbs of the lesson...all in present tense for right now. We have 16 hours of class time and at least another 8 hours of study time. This has done wonders to firm up Spanish in my mind. So much so that I am actually able to comprehend much of what I'm reading and hearing.

Thank you all for praying for us as we learn Spanish. We know for some it clicks right away and they learn with very little effort. Unfortunately for us it has taken more time and definitely a lot of effort. But finally it is coming. Your prayers are working!

No comments: