Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Birthday Brunch in Bed






Yesterday morning a sweet little three year old came into our bedroom, stood at my side of the bed and told me,"Mommy, wake up, iz yur birfday." Then he laid a great big kiss on my cheek and wrapped his little arms around my neck and gave me a bear hug. One of the best birthday wake-up's I've ever had!






Then Kaitlin came in, menu in hand. She handed it to me and after giving me some time to look over my many choices she pulled out her notepad and pen and wrote my order. I had a fabulous ham and cheese omelette, home fried potatos and bacon, with a glass of OJ and cup of coffee. All this after I got to sleep in. That's a really special treat because Silas still wakes up at least twice a night.






After I finished my breakfast and got up and going I came into the dining room to see it decorated with a Happy Bday sign, streamers, table cloth and party hats. Brandon read the sign as happy "bidet" - I'm not too sure about his sense of humor.






Once I was ready Scott took me to Shopping, the mall in town. I was able to find a long sleeved shirt in the pile of American brand name overstocks. We strolled through the mall, very slowly, so it took us 15 minutes instead of just 5. Really! Still on our "date" we headed into the old city. I thought it was the perfect time for us to get an old time photo done. Scott was a good sport and dressed up and even glued on a handlebar mustache.







Back at the house, I opened up all my cards from family, friends and churches plus a goodie box from the ladies at Great Hope Baptist Church. Then I opened up the presents from friends here in Uruguay.




Later the girls and I went out to the mall. A new store just opened up which is the next best thing to Claires. In the center of the store are bins of beads to make up your own jewelry. The girls each picked out their beads and I picked out beads for Isabel, who was at home. We headed back over to the overstock store, Indian Outlet, and found some more shirts. Funny thing is that the girls told me they were taking me shopping. I think I've been swindled because I bought everything. Maybe I should take them shopping the same way on their birthdays. :-)




We ended the night with a cake that, Lydia, one of the ladies in church made for me. And it was delicious! The typical cake here is two layer white cake with a dulce de leche (think creamy caramel dip) filling, the frosting is almost always an unbaked meringue. My favorite is when they add the baked meringue that is broken into pieces to the top. This cake was actually presented to me after the service Sunday night when the church sang to me and prayed for me. What a blessing.




Several ladies, and Pastor Archie, called me to wish me birthday blessings. Maria Larrachea, Ruth and Amparo stopped by too. Plus some of the young people, including Melissa Marr. I got some encouraging notes as well. God certainly blessed me this year!!!

No comments: