Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sometimes you feel like a nut...


sometimes you don't.
In Adeline's case she never feels like a nut - unless she's acting like one. Last night we were at a birthday party of a friends daughter. After we non-allergic people enjoyed the egg white frosted cake and the chocolate chip cookies with peanuts the adults enjoyed a time of fellowship while the kids played with a whistle. Each one in turn pretended to be the leader of a parade. It wasn't until Adeline came in wheezing with the whistle in her mouth that the warning alarm sounded in my mind. She was also sneezing and her eyes were red and swollen. All indications of an allergic reaction. (I wonder when she is going to start paying attention to these warnings of her body.)


Once again we went into emergency measures with her - get the Benadryl, give a dose, and watch carefully for further symptoms specifically anaphylaxis. Hit the brakes...BIG problem...though we had the Epi-Pens we didn't have the Benadryl with us. Not good! How quickly do you think we can get our family rounded up? A few minutes later we were home. Adeline had the Benadryl down her hatch and she was sitting with the nebulizer doing a treatment. And I was once again debating the use of Epi.


I went through the warning signs of Anaphylaxis - rash/hives, difficulty breathing, facial swelling, difficulty swallowing, abdominal cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, drop in blood pressure (how do you recgnize this symptoom in someone else?), feeling of impending doom and loss of consciousness. Since she only had one definite sign - difficulty breathing - plus the beginning of facial swelling I hesitated to use the Epi and opted for the breathing treatment and Benadryl.


I have to say that one of the most difficult things about Adeline's severe allergies is not so much the lingering effects (problems with her asthma) after exposure. Rather it is the need to decide the fate of my child. I have been told that the worst thing that will happen with an unnecessary dose of Epi is a racing heartbeat. However there is the possibility with Epinephrine of cardiac troubles. That possible side effect is what causes my hesitation. And so, I go with the Benadryl, which, I just read, is supposed to be the least effective option because it can take up to an hour to take effect. Thank God that each time we have had to deal with her anaphylaxis the Benadryl has worked. But it's a horrible thing to second guess yourself when it seems the treatment should be obvious.


Tonight I sit at home instead of being at church, because Adeline's asthma is now very flared up. Now I have to decide if she should go on a round of steroids. Dr. Cavataio, if you're reading this, I'm open to your advice.

No comments: