Sunday, April 13, 2008

Some things that you should never put in a suitcase.

Who knows why we brought them. Neither Scott nor I can figure out how they managed to hitchhike all the way down here to Uruguay. After all, we went through our things when we packed them in NC as we started deputation and then again before we loaded everything onto our container. But alas the net Christmas lights and various "old" cell phones made it into the chosen boxes.


We had thought to send these things back with Pastor Wagner when he visited us in March...but we forgot. Good thing for him. Bad for Naomi. I'm sure she can tell this story much better than I can but I'll give it a shot anyway.


Last night we stayed in the airport with Naomi until we saw her go through the security check point. I was amazed that she was not searched at the ticket counter when she checked her bag and I told her so. I spoke too soon.


As she arrived at the gate the agent took her ticket as usual then asked her to wait a moment. I'm sure a number of things were going through her mind as the head of security showed up and took her to another part of the airport to question her about the things in her bag. She mentioned the cell phones as that was what she recalled at the time. The security agent then asked about the bundle of wires in her bag. Uh, oh. I guess cell phones AND boxed Christmas lights send a very bad signal.


Thankfully they accepted her explanation and let her on the plane. And she made it back to the States just fine, in spite of the American Airlines cancellations. I don't know if she had the same problem when she left Miami. But we'll definitely be more careful with the things we send back in peoples bags.

No comments: