Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Happy 6th Birthday Nehemiah!!!

Nehemiah hanging on the chain of the bridge in the historic district of Colonia del Sacramento.

It's hard to believe Nehemiah is 6 years old today. Six years ago today I was told by my midwife that before the end of the day I would be in labor. After asking me if I had plans that day, Pam, was quickly informed, by me, that I most definitely had plans. The last Sara's Daughters meeting was that afternoon and as president I had to be there to preside over the meeting. She didn't think I would make it, but since I wasn't having any contractions yet I kept my plans.
I headed home and packed the older kids bags and picked up my things for that afternoons meeting. Then I headed over to WalMart to pick up the gift from my officer team to be given to Mrs. Comfort. While I was there I had a few contractions but thought nothing of them. I was already running late when I ran into my friend Susan in the parking lot and, swearing her to secrecy, arranged for the kids to stay with them that night.
When I finally got to the college I was early for the meeting but late for when I typically arrived. I planned on just going about my business and heading for the hospital, which was an hour away, after the meeting. However, because I was late Mrs. Comfort was concerned and so I had to tell her about my crazy morning and early afternoon. Naturally her first question was to ask if I was having contractions. She would have to ask! "A few, but not very strong!" I said. "I'll be right back." replied Mrs. Comfort.
Upon her return I was told that I could stay for the meeting as she made sure the school nurse stayed at the school but if I had contractions less than 15 minutes apart I had to go. I also had to let the ladies know I was in labor and may have to leave at any moment.
I did make it through the meeting and by the time we left the school I was having contractions every three minutes. How fast do you think Scott drove up the mountain? I won't divulge that information but suffice it to say when he found out my contractions were so close his foot pushed much harder on the gas pedal. We didn't know Jim and Susan's car had so much get up and go.
Our midwife was pulled over on the way to the hospital because she was speeding. I guess finding out your patient, who is pregnant with her 6th child, is having contractions 3 minutes apart makes you rush.
Well we got there with plenty of time to spare and that evening, Nehemiah Joel joined our family. Eight days after he was born he attended his first Sigma awards banquet and joined in the celebration of Chi Alpha's win (the team we led) by crying. He went on his first missions trip to the North East USA when he was just six weeks old.
Scott and I are thankful for Nehemiah. We pray he will become a man of character like his namesake. That when there comes a time in his life where God calls upon him for service he is willing and ready.

No comments: