Friday, May 11, 2007

Life in the Uruguayan Fast (food) Lane

Is not quite like it is in the States or even in other foreign countries. Uruguayan fast food consists of Chevitos or Hamburguesas con Papas Fritas ordered from a Carrito. Unless a trip into the Capitol is in the plans, a North American craving a taste of home has to make due with the copy cat recipes found online. So this week has been my copy cat week.

I made a reasonable facisimile of Paneras Cinnamon Crunch Bagels and French Onion Soup in a bread bowl - let's just say the taste was OK but they both needed some work. Tonight we had Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza, with homemade tortillas (thanks to Andrea Perez) and though they weren't exactly like TB's they were really good. But the best so far was a Cuarto de Libra con queso (Quarter Pounder with Cheese) thankfully I didn't have to copycat this recipe I was able to get it straight from the real source.


Now I know all of you deputizing missionaries and parents could just about gag if you have to eat fast food one more time, but having gone 5 months without, that QP tasted better than any burger I've had, with the exception of an In N' Out burger, and don't even get me going on the fries. If nothing else makes it clear that I'm expecting this post certainly should. So all you people planning to send anything in the mail soon, I wouldn't be the least bit offended if it included a packet of taco seasoning or some REAL fast food recipes. Yes, that's a hint. After all we're living life in the Uruguayan fast food lane.

No comments: