Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Israel Day 7

Sorry to have dropped off on the trip blogs. Now that some more pressing matters have been cared for I can continue with this.

Before I begin please be in prayer for Sabina, one of the young ladies here.  Suddenly she had some finger numbness which has progressed.  She is unable to walk.  The last I heard, today, was that they are trying to discover the problem but Multiple Sclerosis is a possibility.  She had to have a spinal tap yesterday which was extremely painful for her.  Pray that she would have the peace that passes understanding and God will give the doctors wisdom.  Pray also for her family. 

I also want to note that I had some x-rays of my leg and knee yesterday. I small healing fracture was discovered in the fibula of my leg. About mid-way it was not at all where I expected anything to be. I did have a lot of pain in the back of my leg and with my knee while walking the first few days in Israel, but I was not about to miss out on anything. Thankfully I didn't make it any worse. I do not have a cast as I was told the only treatment is to take anti-inflammatories.

Now back to Israel....

Today is Sunday and what a day we had! At 8 am, like everyday, we headed out to Ein Gedi. Ariay wanted for us to be able to see the animals drinking at the stream. We missed it. But not the animals. I have several pictures of Conies or Hryex several of them seemed to be playing possom as we walked by while others called out warnings to their families. Also, up in the hills, we saw several Ibex. I kept thinking of Isabel "Ibex reads I, I, I...I reads I, I, I." Won't they be excited when they get their eyes on a real Ibex?! OK, maybe not.

After hiking up a well cleared trail for about 20 minutes we finally arrived at the David's Falls. Gorgeous! As an area believed to be where David wrote some of his Psalms it was easy to see where his inspiration came from. A further hike up the trail leads one to the cave where David hid from Saul and cut off the portion of his coat.  Later David's heart smote him because he had not treated the man whom God had made king with respect.  (1 Samual 24:4).  

Most certainly the Psalms come crowding into one's mind while in the desert.  One can literally see what David wrote about.  The trees by the rivers of water, the need for shade, etc.  After worshipping the Lord in song, Alton Beal, the new president of Ambassador Baptist College, preached Psalm 121.  

What Do You See? 
The greatest decisions we make are based on what we see; whether through the eyes of faith or the physical eye.  A man's eyes will determine his direction.  
I.  David saw a place. v. 1
A. He said I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills.
1.  Every time I lift up my eyes it ought to encourage me.
2.  The help we need is only afforded by God.
II.  David saw a person.
A. God is identified specifically.
B. We see His credentials v. 2
1. He made heaven and earth.
` 2. He gives stability.
3.  He does not sleep nor slumber.  He does not get drowsy or nod off.  
4. He protects and keeps us.
III.  David saw His promise. v 7
A. If God can preserve a synagogue, the Dead Sea Scrolls, He can preserve me!
B.  To keep us forever.
Conclusion:  What am I looking at?  The person?  The problem?  Or God?!

From Ein Gedi we headed to Ein Faskha nature reserve.  Walking along the creeks and streams while literally right next to the Dead Sea seemed almost unreal.  There is even a large freshwater pond, if I recall correctly it is spring fed, that at one time was in the Dead Sea.  I could only think about how it paralleled the Christian life.  God taking us, while we were dead in our sins, and giving us life through His Son Jesus Christ and the Living water He offers us.  On the way to the reserve we were able to see where the water level of the Dead Sea, as marked by the PEF in 1913.  A vast difference from where it is today.  

Gensis Land near the Wadi Qelt, and where the good Samaritan helped the injured man, was an adventure and a half.  The wadi, and all others like it, is what David wrote of in Psalm 23 when he spoke of the "valley of the sahdow of death."  In those times the valleys always held a measure of danger but especially so at night.  Yet another passage of Scripture as seen through a new perspective has taken on more light.  

After Abraham's servant, Elishu, introduced us to his master he gave us tuncis to wear and instructed us on how to ride a camel.  Scott and I both rode a camel for the first time.  Personally I was not too thrilled with it.  The comfort level was very lacking.  I definitely think they need a lot more padding on those saddles :-)!!!  The lunch we had was different and full of new tastes but it was also very good.  I loved the Date Honey BBQ chicken!  Delicious!!!  We also had kababs (skewered meat balls), rice, pita, and a variety of salads.  I have not tasted one thing here that has been bland.  It is remarkable to me at how well all the many flavors come together.  

Something else that struck me was the wrong perception the media has given on the Israeli settlements.  These are not squatters camps.  They are not pieces of land unlawfully taken or built upon.  The homes in these protected neighborhoods are beautiful and well cared for.  Not only did they win this land back in the 1967 war, Israel has graciously allowed the Palestinians to stay in Israel even when they find themselves at the receiving end of bombs and other forms of "holy war".  The media (and the UN for that matter) forget this is land given to Israel by God!  Yes, they were removed from the land several times as a result of their sin.  More than once they were taken into bondage, but that does not change the promise of God.  The land is theirs.  It belongs to Israel.   The Palestinians would like for the world to believe that the land belongs to them.  That Israelites are colonists.  One need only to read the Bible to know the truth.  

The scenery completely changed while driving through the beautiful rolling hills of the Judean desert and seeing the sheep lines where the shepherds lead their sheep, slowly, slowly, up the hills while they graze.  Several beduin tents, and camps, were scattered along the hills and close by are the caves, or sheepfolds, where the shepherds put their sheep at night for protection.  The closer we got to Jerusalem we began to see more green.  Surprisingly it belonged to pines and cedars.  Finally the anticipation began to build as we entered into a tunnel and the song, The Holy City, began to play over the tour bus' stereo.  And just as it got to the refrain, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, lift up your voice and sing, Hosanna in the highest, Hosanna to the King!", we exited the tunel to see, to our left, the Temple Mount of Jerusalem.  I don't believe there was one dry eye in the bus.  The only thing that would be better would be to see a Temple resting upon the temple mount.       

    

 


No comments: