Saturday, December 06, 2008

2 Years in Uruguay

It is hard to believe that we have already reached the halfway mark for our first term on the field! It has been two of the toughest and best years of my life, personally.

Two years ago I thought:
  • I would be much farther along in Spanish than I am now.

Now I know:

  • Language learning takes a long time, I'll get it if I keep plugging away.

Two years ago I thought:

  • I would never be able to make friends without speaking the language

Now I know:

  • That the verse about a man being friendly to have friends proves itself out especially when there is no way for clear communication. A friendly act reaches the heart more than words ever can.

Two years ago I thought:

  • It would be hard to relate to the Uruguayan believers.

Now I know:

  • The Holy Spirit Who abides in me, helps me know no stranger among other Christians. He is the bond we all share. And though I don't understand all aspects of their culture and heritage I can relate to them as one who has been redeemed by the precious blood of Jesus Christ!

Two years ago I remember:

  • An excited group of believers welcoming us to the next phase of our ministry.
  • Being overwhelmed by the language.
  • Being very preoccupied with the safety of my kids.
  • Being excited about everything new.
  • Wishing I could take a hot bath.
  • Wishing I could sit in an air-conditioned church.
  • Hoping our container would arrive in time for Christmas.
  • Thanking the Lord for Bill and Judy Baltzersen and their help to us.
  • Thanking the Lord for the Perez'.
  • Crying as we took Bill and Judy to the airport.
  • Wondering if I would ever be able to make it here already my heart was longing for the things I knew.
  • Doubting I'd ever be able to cook anything that tasted good from scratch.

I have learned a lot more this past year than the year before. I know God has strengthened us, upheld us, and guided us. I love the Lord more now than I did two years ago. My passion has grown to see others love Him too. I see all the ways the Lord was meeting my needs for today in the trials of the yesterdays. And I praise the Lord once again for another year serving Him on the mission field!

No comments: