Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Mom's Toolbox



It's doubtful that man could make a toolbox large enough to house all the tools a mom uses on a day to day basis. And if they could find a large enough vessel some things would be impossible to house there. How would one box up those kisses that heal all number of boo-boos. What about the listening ear? Or the shoulder to cry on? Definitely not the multitude of prayers that go up to the throne of grace! And certainly it would be hard to find a place for patience. Organization might actually be the easiest thing to find a place for.

Though I haven't found a toolbox to help me out as a mom, I have found some tools that are essential to being a good mom. The Bible needs to be at the top of my list. For in the Bible I have my instruction manual, I find encouragement and I find strength, among many other things. Another essential, at least to me, is being organized. I love being organized. I really enjoy having everything run smoothly, and when it doesn't having the plan B or Z to fall back on is great.

Living here in Uruguay, being the mom of 8 children, ministry and life in general has put the need to organize into a higher priority. I have found recently that I need a tool to help me organize. A few months back I put my daily schedule onto my Outlook. Only problem, I can't carry my computer around with me all day. Scott has been looking for a hand-held for me and let's just say the cost has been prohibitive. Most electronic devices here are double what you could find them for in the States.



Sunday was Father's Day here in Uruguay and we heard about a promotion with the cell phone carrier we use. So yesterday we headed over to Movistar to check out the phones hoping we could find one with some sort of organizer. I was so excited to have a couple different choices. Though Blackberry, Palm or iPhone are not here, at least in Colonia, I was able to get a Sony Ericsson phone that functions like a basic organizer at half the normal price. The bells and whistles - camera, video, mp3, and more - are definitely an added blessing.

Once my phone is finished doing it's 24 hour charge I'm hoping to link it up with my outlook calendar. After that I'll have little alarms to remind me to go to the next task. Then, hopefully, I won't be forgetting important things anymore.

No comments: