Monday, July 21, 2008

The Conquer Childhood Cancer Act

Three years ago this month my cousin Valerie and her husband Matt's lives were suddenly thrown into the realm of childhood cancer when their then 3 year old daughter, Madi, was diagnosed with a brain tumor. You can read her story here.

In October 2007 our friends Shawn and Sandy Smith were given the diagnosis of their son, Andrew's Diffuse Intrensic Pontine Glioma (DIPG) brain stem tumor, and of Sandy's breast cancer. (See the previous post for Andrews CaringBridge website link.)

I thought I would post this in honor of Madi Hixson and Andrew Smith.

“Passage of the Conquer Childhood Cancer Act in the Senate is a monumental step in the fight against childhood cancer,” said Coleman. “I am proud that my colleagues were able to come together and pass legislation that will provide the resources to not only support children and families with childhood cancer, but also find a cure.”

No comments: