Friday, June 22, 2007

In like a lion, out like a lamb.

Or is it the other way around? At any rate, those of you reading from north of the equator have officially started summer while we have started winter. Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, today is gloomy, rainy and foggy. It's especially cold when the sun doesn't shine as here in Uruguay the closest thing to central heat is a propane heater called an estufa de gas (see picture) that is wheeled from room to room.

I know many find it hard to believe it is actually cold down here, but remember we're far enough south of the equator that we do have all the seasons. Add to that the concrete construction, high humidity, plus no central heat and it makes for a very cold winter. We are all constantly bundled up and wear multiple layers, even inside!

It was so cold in church on Sunday that you could see everyone's breath. Sunday night service was a lot better since that is our bigger service, plus we had the estufa de gas on. I actually unbuttoned my coat and took off my scarf.

The church bus has no heater and with each person I greet I can tell they are much colder than I as their cheeks are frigid. Not one of them complains, at least not that I understand. They all say they are fine, even if they do mention the cold they know it is part of life here. I'm told I will adjust. One thing is for sure the longer we are here the more clearly I see that we are so spoiled in the US.

No comments: