Friday, June 08, 2007

Ex-patriate...no way!


While we come across Americans either in person or on the internet that have left the USA and call themselves ex-pat's we have never considered ourselves to be in that category. During our visit yesterday to the US Embassy, for renewal of my passport, I had a rather unexpected patriotic moment. It may not be too surprising but we had to pass through a lot of security. First we entered into a bomb-resistent building to go through a security check. I had to leave my purse behind in a cubby and Scott had to leave his soft sided briefcase in another cubby. Both items were identified as ours by our drivers licenses. The Uruguayan belongins were ID'd by their Cedula cards.

Once we cleared security and had our visitor badges we headed to the main building. Where we once again went through security. You should see the size of those doors we went through. As we entered into this foyer I thought I saw a Marine out of the corner of my eye. I couldn't resist looking and when I did I had my patriotic moment. There he was in what I think is called his field dress uniform standing proud as an American. I went through security and looked again, I'm afraid I was staring, then he smiled at me, wished me good morning and we were on our way. But I knew that if we ever needed assistance to get out of this country in a civil emergency, America's finest would be here to help.

I've had many moments that have made me thankful I'm an American; especially so after September 11th. But this moment was different it had different meaning. It reminded me that though I'm here in Uruguay, and happy to be here, I'm still very much an American. Red, white and blue courses through my veins and that will always be. I praise God for the rich heritage I have as an American. For the soldiers who have sacrificed their lives for my freedom! Now, I think I need to come up with an excuse to visit the Embassy this coming 4th of July, and have another patritotic moment! God bless America!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debbie...I can totally relate to this one. We went to the embassy one time when we were there and I was the same way! It was awesome to go through all the scurity and gates and instantly feel like you were back in the U.S. I arrived in UY on June 29th, so the 4th was pretty special for us. Actually, we tried to make cookies that day, and burnt them. Then Ruth was sick, so Alejandro came over and mad chivitos. Well, we tried to be all american! :) Love you guys!