Friday, August 11, 2006

WARNING: Terrorism Will Affect Your Allergies

Here I was thinking that all we had to be concerned about in traveling to Uruguay was if our 18 check on bags made the weight requirement. Ok, I actually knew there was more things involved. I'm ashamed to admit I hadn't yet thought about Adeline. I suppose I've become so accustomed to traveling with the food allergy princess that I figured flying would be one more day in those travels. Eventually, I would work out a menu of non-perishable food items for her to take on board to eat while we "enjoyed" our airline provided meals. Problem solved!

Better think again, Debbie, because now the terrorists have once again changed the rules of air travel. These new rules require "no beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency." Brandon will be bummed that his hair gel will have to go on his checked bag and woe to us if Simeon ends up with a diaper rash.

Seriously now, for us, and many others, who travel with food allergies this is much more than an inconvience of not being able to fix our hair or diaper a baby properly. This is a potentially life threatening decision for those with medical conditions who are dependant upon liquid medications!

I will grant that prescription medicines have been included in the exceptions list, if you have a doctor's note, and your medicine is labeled from the pharmacy, and it matches your name, and especially if it is not a liquid. Here is where the problem arises, Adeline must carry liquid Benadryl and an Epi-Pen (an injectable liquid) everywhere she goes. The liquid Benadryl (now on the banned list) is the first step towards stopping an anaphylactic reaction - regular pills do not absorb as rapidly. The Epi-Pen, which we've never yet had to use is the next step for her.

So now we must get a new prescription for her Epi-Pens with those specifics. And on to the hunt for dissolvable Benadryl tablets that I've heard are out there but I have never seen them. I sure hope they come in her dose. And on to the search for what food we can bring on board for Adeline to eat.

We don't always understand what we see as delays long lines, traffic jams, and dead batteries. It's in those times we need to look for what God may be sparing us. Most certainly, I'm thankful that we didn't leave this month as we'd hoped for as we would likely be traveling with no medicinal help, or food, for Adeline. Now, at least, we can plan ahead.

No comments: