Tuesday, March 03, 2009

First Day of School 2009

As if I wasn't convinced before, I have now proven that evolution is impossible!

Today I started back as teacher of our children...six of them.
Brandon...11th grade.
Kaitlin...9th grade.
Bethany...5th grade.
Adeline...3rd grade.
Nehemiah...2nd grade.
Isabel...K/1st grade.

Because today is the first day and everyone had brand new paces each one had to read their goals to someone at the change of every period/class. Rather than attempt to listen to everyone at the same time I asked them to read to each other. That helped a lot.

So how did I prove evolution false? Well, for one I don't have 8 sets of arms...one set for each of my children. Today I note that I do not have 6 sets of ears to listen to each of my kids read, or 6 mouths to answer their questions all at the same time, or two sets of eyes to pay attention to what is happening in the room while I'm helping another.

As far as school goes, it was great! Everyone had a fantastic attitude and worked hard. This year I thought to do class periods to see if that would help me to keep track of what everyone was doing. Also for Brandon and Kaitlin to be more familiar with the period system for when they start college. Finally, to keep my mind from being jumbled by having to switch from Geometry to Spelling. We start school at 8:15 and end at Noon. Our day consists of seven 30 minute periods with a 10 minute break in the middle.

If they don't accomplish their goals for the subject, the rest becomes homework after lunch. If they do get through their work and there is still time in the period they keep working. It worked so well that most of the kids worked ahead in each subject. Maybe we'll finish school early. One can hope!!! At the least they will have some breathing room and hopefully not get behind when they hit the confusing stuff.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Praying for you! Homeschool is the hardest thing I have to do besides learn Japanese!