Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Are You Leaning?

"Recently my husband did .... and from your study I realized that I needed to pray for him and encourage him."

In response to a former catholic lady's testimony of Baptist teachings being very different from what she is used to, one lady said this, "I was a catholic my whole life too, but when you immerse yourself in the Bible it gets into your heart and you see that what our church teaches is truth."

Each of the ladies wrote out prayer requests to exchange with eachother. This is the testimony of the lady who got my prayer requests, "These past couple weeks I have prayed for Debbie, Pastor and for their family. She asked prayer for Spanish and I've noticed an improvement. I've prayed for the spiritual growth of their children. And for Pastor as he prepares and preaches his messages."

To begin this weeks study, on Proverbs 3:5,6, I asked the ladies to share testimonies of how they were able to apply the last study's lesson to their lives. Last week I taught on the negative aspect of this verse: Leaning - We are not to trust in our own understanding or our reasoning (our reasoning is our intelligence, our thoughts, and our desires) over God's.

Following this week's study on the beginning of Trusting - We are to trust in Almighty God. Our examples from Scripture are Isaiah, Job, and Habbakuk, Daniel, Joshua and Caleb, Shadrac, Meshac and Abednego, Ruth, and the many examples in Hebrews 11- I shared practical application of my study: When you struggle to do as God asks or to believe God will do as He promised ask yourself, "Who is my God?", read Job 42; keep a remembrance journal of all the ways God has answered specific prayers - when He has provided for your needs, when He has brought a loved one to the Lord, or when He has helped you through a trial, etc; keep a promise journal in your Bible underlining verses the Lord gives you and date them so you can look back and see how God has helped you through.

I was able to share specifics of how I have applied these things to my life, during Bible college and deputation and now here on the field. From that I hope and trust that the ladies will see that God is real in my life. Please keep praying for these ladies as we continue to study this passage of Scripture.

I'm hoping to complete this study at our next meeting, February 21st, and begin the study in Mentiras Que Las Mujeres Creen (Lies Women Believe). The books have been ordered and should be here from the states in a couple weeks.

No comments: