Monday, October 22, 2007

It's about time

I needed to have a worthy subject for my premier post and I think that I may have found it. I must begin by telling you that I have not changed my doctrinal position in any way. I did however find some things that I have said lately rather amusing, at least to me. The first is something that I taught in Sunday School - I must clarify that this lesson was in Spanish. The words for Gospel and Evangelical are very similar in Spanish. Instead of saying that we have a command from God to spread the Gospel I told the class that God has commanded us to spread Evangelicalism. Needless to say there is a difference between the two and thankfully they knew what I was trying to say.

The second thing that struck me as odd is in a conversation with a supporting church I asked them to pray that God would loosen my tongue. After making the statement I thought I wonder if they understood this as I intended?

It is evident that in good communication you not only need to be clear but specific. The difficulty here is that communicating in Spanish is still slow and requires much work, but it also seems that my ability to communicate in English is not as good as it used to be. I am left wondering - in another year will I be able to communicate in any language?

All fun aside I can see progress in our Spanish and trust that one day we will be able to communicate our hearts with relative ease.

No comments: