Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Happy Birthday Brandon!!!!

Each year we shake our head in wonder that another year has passed in the life of our eldest child. I, personally, am no less amazed this year than last. The feeling of amazement that my firstborn could be 1, 2, 3...13, or 17, always takes me by surprise. Does that feeling ever leave a parent? Will I be doing the same thing when he is 40?

Oh, boy, can't even go there because that would mean I'll be...never mind. Let's get this subject going in a different direction, shall we?!

Brandon's 16th year has gone much faster than I expected it would. And today he turns 17. A year from now he will be considered, by law, to be an adult. He will be on the count down to college. He will be eligible to vote. He will have a non-provisional drivers license.

YIKES!

I think I'll just keep living in the here and now. I hope that I will remember to appreciate each passing day with him. That I will remember that many of the events that happen with him in this next year could likely be the last time we enjoy that thing with him. After all we live on a different continent.

Uh, oh, I better stop before I change my mind about Brandon beginning his adult life.

I am thankful for the son the Lord gave us! I've been encouraged by the spiritual growth we have seen in him this past year. And for the increase in maturity.

Seeing the opportunity to begin college on time, with his peers, he sat down and set some high, but achievable, goals for himself in school. And he has knuckled down to make his dreams a reality.

He began learning to drive this year and he is doing great! It's not easy to drive in a foreign country. Nor is it easy to drive our manual, diesel van.

He has sacrificed a lot of "normal" to be our child. The life of a missionary kid never really has its normal. Just when the new becomes familiar you're being moved on to another new. Life revolves around cycles of 3-4 years. New languages. New cultures. New friends. New cities. New churches. New believers. New, new, new.

Sometimes, as will be the case for Brandon, an MK has the opportunity to return to the original, or the old. His original language. His original culture. His old friends. His hometown. Our old church. Our old college. The landmarks in his life have not been removed, praise God! But he will see them through different eyes, those of an adult young man commencing a new chapter in his life.

Wow, there I go again. Can you imagine what my blog post will be like when he heads of to college next year? I already feel sorry for you folks. :-)

No comments: