Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Como se dice, DUH?

I have studied and studied and studied, my vocabulary is growing yet I still can't answer a simple question without my brain coming to a screeching halt. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really ever going to have a real discussion in Spanish. Or if every time someone engages me in conversation my brains are going to fly out of my head and leave me looking like a mindless north American. Can you hear me sigh? I'm most assuredly sighing! Really, I'm fighting the tears.

Our lanuage teacher called today to clarify something and in Spanish she asked me what I was doing. And my brain went blank. I am not one to give up easily and don't have any intention of doing so where Spanish is concerned. But I sure would like to overcome this mental handicap I have...and soon! Since flashcards have worked to build my vocabulary I hope they will build my question and answer ability. After all I just made 126 different flashcards to help aide my memory!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, Debbie! It's funny that you should write this. I can relate. I had the tears last night over my Japanese. I have the same problem and I have been at this for a year!!!! I can read a lot and the writing is not bad, but listening and responding is another story. Just keep plugging away!

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
Today is the first I've been on your blog. I didn't realize the language barrier has been so stressful for you, but maybe this will be encouraging. About 2-3 weeks ago, Jadon reminded us at family devotions to pray that the Borrmann's would learn the language and that has been a prayer request that he and Emily have prayed every night since. Just wanted you to know that requested has been and will continue to be lifted up on your behalf :) Rachael Wipf

Debbie said...

Kim,
I have thought of you many times over the past couple months of language study. I know it must be more difficult for you. Thanks for taking the time to encourage me.
Debbie

Debbie said...

Rachel,

Thank you all for praying for us. It certainly is evident when others are praying, things just go much smoother. I'm thankful for the tender and receptive hearts of your children.

Debbie